Energy City Harriers (formerly known as the New Plymouth Harrier Club) was founded in 1929. The club caters for runners at all levels of ability. We have members who run just for fun and fitness and who don’t want to compete with other clubs, and others who like the thrill of competition. The club also encourages walkers to participate in club activities. Our clubrooms are situated in the East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, Strandon, (map) and only minutes away from the centre of town.
Changing rooms & hot showers are available. Our club operates mainly during the winter season for the cross-country and road season, (which runs from the start of March through to the end of September on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings). See our club calendar page for our winter programme. We are a friendly club and have various social activities during the season.
Download a copy of our 2017 Information Booklet Available shortly.
Our 2017 Winter Club Programme can be found here ECH Programme 2017 – Draft v1.0
Tuesday Night Pack Runs/Walks
Packs runs/walks occur every Tuesday night from the clubrooms at 5.30pm through the season April to end of September – WET OR FINE!
A few reminders for our pack run/walk on Tuesday nights.
- Please wear something reflective, i.e. belt or top.
- Where possible run on the left hand side of the road, no more than two abreast or preferably on the footpath.
- Don’t forget to keep an eye on everyone in your group.
- Please remember to put your name in the book. This helps us with future planning as well as being used for awarding points.
Pack run/walk etiquette
- They are not races.
- Keep behind the pack leader.
- Stick together. If you get ahead of other runners/walkers do a loop to enable them to catch up.
- Split up by arrangement between the leader and pack members rather than by dropping off a trail of stragglers.
- It is the responsibility of all members to ensure that individual runners/walkers do not have to struggle home by themselves. Take your turn at accompanying slower runners/walkers home.
These guidelines ensure pack runs/walks are enjoyable for everyone.
Points are gained through regular attendance of club pack runs/walks and through participating in race events. Points awarded are shown by each event in the club calendar and programme. Members will be eligible for an additional three points for participating in up to three ANZ sanctioned events, either a half or full marathon, provided club uniform is worn and your name is in the finishing results. Only one set of points are awarded each weekend.
One point will be awarded for attending a Tuesday night or Saturday morning pack run/walk. Most runs commencing away from the clubrooms are worth 3 points.
Race points will be awarded based on sealed handicap or estimated time finishing order and factoring in numbers participating, i.e. the last finisher on handicap or furthest from their estimated time receives 4 points with each person ahead receiving another subsequent point. In a field of 5 the winner would receive 8 points.
To gain points you must put your name in the points book on the day you run/walk. If you overlook to add your name to the book on the relevant day points will not be allocated to you.
Club Singlets must be worn at Championship and Inter-club events and we encourage members to wear them when ever they are racing. The singlet is to be worn with black or dark navy shorts.
Frontrunner New Plymouth are the stockists of our club singlets.
They will endeavour to do their best to keep a supply of all sizes in stock. Please note Frontrunner are not making any profit for providing this service. We ask club members to be patient if they are temporarily out of stock.
For information about regional events in Taranaki please see the Athletics Taranaki website www.athleticstaranaki.org.nz